Re: Matlab incompatibility: cd and which

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Matlab incompatibility: cd and which
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 11:15:58 -0400

On 10/14/2013 07:51 AM, Michael Goffioul wrote:
On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 3:16 AM, c. <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    On 14 Oct 2013, at 03:31, Michael Goffioul
    <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

     > 2) "cd" without argument changes to home dir, while in Matlab it
    simply returns the current directory.

    this has been discussed before, it was decided to follow the more
    consistent
    bash behaviour of cd rather than the strange behaviour chosen by Matlab.

I figured this must have been discussed before, I just didn't remember
it. I just happened to bump into a toolbox that uses of handful of
"cd()" to retrieve the current directory, leading to unexpected behavior
on octave.

Is it doing

  x = cd

? In that case, Octave should be returning the current directory and not changing it.

If it is not doing that, then what do you mean by "retrieve"? It's just doing

  cd

to display the current directory?