Re: [Octave-bug-tracker] [bug #40341] Logical indexing into sparse matri

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: [Octave-bug-tracker] [bug #40341] Logical indexing into sparse matrices causes OOM
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:33:05 +0200

Jordi,

I'm taking this on to the maintainers list as this has nothing to do with a bug.

You seem to think I'm a false authority and you are trying to insult me with
your comment. However, as I implemented the sparse type in Octave and probably
90% of the sparse code is still mine the fact is I am the authority when it
comes to the sparse code of octave.

Insulting an authority is the definition of insolence which is a childish
behavior.

Communities of all types survive because people are well mannered to each, so
rather than treat you as the child you seem to want to be treated as I'll give
a constructive response to your insult

Here are some principals for the sparse implementation

1) The row and column indices of the sparse matrix should be of the type
octave_idx_type, limited to [0 intmax()] and not artificially limited to
something smaller

2) numel() should have a return type of octave_idx_type and defined as the
total number of zero and non-zero elements if the matrix and so limited to [0
intmax()]

The corollary is that numel() can overflow for large sparse matrices. A final
principal is that

3) If a function or operation can be implemented for large sparse matrices,
where numel would normally overflow, then it should be. If it can't be
implemented without numel it should fail with an intelligent error.

If you want to attack one of these principals fine we have something to talk
about. If you think you can fix the bug cited here while respecting these
principals and still using numel fine as well. Otherwise I see no point in
continuing this discussion

D.