[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: xlsread in Octave 3.6.4
Re: xlsread in Octave 3.6.4
Sun, 03 Nov 2013 12:59:22 +0100
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20100701 SeaMonkey/2.0.6
Am 2013-11-02 23:43, schrieb Philip Nienhuis:
Am 2013-11-02 21:11, schrieb Philip Nienhuis:
I've pushed everything to my github repo again (just the relevant
files for io).
hopefully i don't broke it now (That is quite possible) because i copy
and paste a lot.
Furthermore i've added some nice benchmarks at the end of the
It seems you didn't fix the latest sources that I committed but rather
patched a local source?
But never mind, I again reformatted to Octave coding standards (wasn't
much work) and re-added the xls.limits assignment needed to avoid cell
errors in xls2oct.
I also had to (again) fix undefined references in __OCT_xlsx2oct__.m:
L. 117, 126: refs to "@__colnr", should be to "@__col_str_to_number" -
do you still have __colnr.m in your source tree?
uh, maybe you're right. i develope with single file xlsxread.m and i
guess i made often copy & paste errors.
As regards your remark "setup is a nightmare": All true.
But I made a function to make it easier for users, did you catch that?
(chk_spreadsheet_support.m); it checks all interfaces and adds all
required Java classes to the javaclasspath. All you have to do is
download them, put them together into one subdir and tell it to
yes, i did it with chk_spreadsheet_support. refering to
but xlsread failed as long as JExcelAPI .jar file was added to java
path. even when i force another interface.
Hey.... I thought I had fixed that bug a while ago... I'll check later.
Fixed again, but I found another concealed bug. Hmmm....
Before hitting "Send": I'm really impressed. Your xlsxread stuff is
really blazingly fast. testOOXML sheet #2 takes 2.5 secs with OCT,
12.2 with POI, 34+ with UNO (LibreOffice 4.1.2) (all on WinXP)
and matlab run out of memory (on linux 8GB ram). this is the most
impressiv part for me.
On my Win7 64b 8 GB RAM box, Octave & COM (=Excel 2013) takes just 6,5
secs to read example.xlsx. I can't test xlsxread (I have no
Octave-3.6.4 installed there yet); but UNO (LibreOffice 4.0) took a
leisurely 780 secs (15 mins). (Java) POI bailed out (a bug in old
io-1.2.2 I think).
xlsxread test would be realy interesting on the same PC (What CPU do you
have in this PC?).
Later today I'll try io-1.2.4rc1 there :-) I'll let you know.
It is some core i5 (Lenovo X230).
next weeks i'll try implement to read just a range from xlsx files.
I figured that a temporary kludge could be to just read all data
(xlsxread is fast enough), and then just select the requested
rectangle from the full data matrix.
This way is the fastest for matlab on linux too and it could be
internaly managed the same way in xlsxread.
It would be the easier to do when all non-numeric data has been read and
filled in the data cell array as well.
But there is one way to do it even faster. A function which generate a
corresponding regexp pattern. There are some python codes in the www
doing this. I start month ago such function (__getrange.m attached), but
it failed (just valid for a range between A1 to Z9), is very worse and
not trivial (for me).
Python... nothing against it, apart from the fact that it's another
dependency and fewer dependencies are better.
BYW I think reading strings would also be nice. I already had a brief
look on how to do that (it is a 2 or 3-step procedure as the strings
are kept in some other sheet). Vectorizing the procedure will be the
Step 1 is to identifiy the string position (It's one more regexp line i
guess). Step 2 is reading all strings (the other xml file) and fill the
output cell at the given position with the strings.
That's what I figured.
I would do this with
regexp again :)
Beware, regexp isn't always the fastest. I found that strfind() and
index() are often much faster for easy patterns.
BTW, I hit an issue on XP that regexp performance can degrade sharply as
soon as string length is over ~400,000 characters. It may be related to
that specific Octave-3.6.4 regexp version though.
The io package spreadsheet I/O stuff supports a SPSH_OPTS argument
(actually a struct with fields that can be true (1) or false (0)). For
strings we can add a new field "oct_get_strings" or so and in the
_OCT_xlsx2oct__.m file we can have some if-endif's that test it and if
"yes"/true also read the strings. That way we can keep the current
speed if only numeric data are requested.
Thinking a bit more, once we have string reading implemented the default
would be to read all data and the option to just read the numeric data
I'll take a look into it in the next weeks. I have to spend more time
for university stuff at the moment.
Of course, this is a volunteer project.
I think all improvements from now on are something for io-2.0.0. I
already have some code for it lying around; an important goal is to
significantly simplify the code exposed to users, another to simplify