MinGW: EDITOR error messages on GUI startup

From: PhilipNienhuis
Subject: MinGW: EDITOR error messages on GUI startup
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 09:01:11 -0800 (PST)

(Inquiry before perhaps entering a bug report)

1. Upon start of Octave (MXE cross-build, hg summary a99b7d656c  start in
CLI mode ....") I found that the "New file" button / menu entry in the Edit
pane didn't work.
OK, it could be fixed by unselecting the "Use custom editor" option in
Preferences | Editor (where notepad++ turned out to be set as default
editor).
(BTW I've never selected that option in my preferences from previous dev
versions, why is that overridden?)

2. Now, upon each start of Octave I get this:

GNU Octave, version 3.7.7+
Copyright (C) 2013 John W. Eaton and others.:
:
<snip>
:
error: The EDITOR option of edit has been removed. Use EDITOR() directly.
error: called from:
error:
X:\Octave\octave-377+_MXE\share\octave\3.7.7+\m\miscellaneous\edit.m at
 line 162, column 9
error:   X:\Octave\octave-377+_MXE\share\octave\site\m\startup/octaverc at
line
7, column 1

I think for average users, both 1. and 2. could be quite confusing at least.

Philip