Re: alternatives for funding (was: I want to give you money but it can't

From: fgnievinski
Subject: Re: alternatives for funding (was: I want to give you money but it can't be called a donation)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 05:16:28 -0800 (PST)

Pardon the tone of my original message,
but I'd like to insist on the suggestion
of selling Octave as a software box,
with priority for support inquiries.
For an exemplary case, see:
<http://boundlessgeo.com/solutions/opengeo-suite/>

I'd contend the commercial support options available here:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/commercial-support.html>
are too open-ended and fail to entice the compulsive buyer.
As for donations, it's non-trivial for an organization
to justify it; a software budget is more common.

Instead of writing something too long,
I'd gladly address any specific concerns
you might have.

-F.