Re: alternatives for funding (was: I want to give you money but it can't

From: Pascal Dupuis
Subject: Re: alternatives for funding (was: I want to give you money but it can't be called a donation)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 11:04:05 +0100

This thread is about : Let's sell some lower-cost alternative to an
expensive piece of software. What is selled is not the software but
the expertise around it.

At first sight, it makes sense. But let me remind you from recent
history that followers have a much harder time surviving than leaders.
For a concrete exemple, look at the IBM 360 and 370 series, started in
1966. There were numerous business producing compatible replacement
(Hitachi, Olivetti, Bull, Digital Equipment, ...), but none of them
actually succeeded in taking a significant share of this market. Some
of them didn't survive either.

Regards

Pascal