Re: less than or equal to formula for complex numbers

From: Lukas Reichlin
Subject: Re: less than or equal to formula for complex numbers
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 12:33:59 +0100

On 18.12.2013, at 03:31, Alasdair McAndrew <address@hidden> wrote:

> The octave definition is pretty arbitrary.  You may like to consider which of
> the following properties it satisfies:
>
> !x<x
> x<y & y<z -> x<z
> For any x,y then one of the following must hold: x<y, y<x, x=y
> If x<y then x+a<y+a for all a
> If x<y and a>0 then xa<ya.
>
> In fact, it can be proved that there is no possible ordering on the complex
> numbers which satisfies all of these (that is, makes the complex numbers an
> ordered field).  So you can pick any ordering you like, and decide which of
> the above ordering properties you're prepared to live without.  One standard
> ordering is lexicographic, which can easily be adapted to quaternions:
>
> a+bi+cj+dk<A+Bi+Cj+Dk iff a<A or, a=A and b<B, or a=A,b=B and c<C, or
> a=A,b=B,c=C,d<D.
>
> (This won't satisfy the last property above).
>
> cheers,
> Alasdair

Thanks for the hint about the ordered fields! I noticed some oddities with
complex numbers and quaternions, but I thought I made a silly mistake when
comparing them; e.g. script [1]. I'm indecisive which ordering to choose, but
maybe I should accept that there is no such thing as "quaternion 1 is greater
than quaternion 2" and accordingly, should only provide the comparison
operators == and != in my quaternion package.

Best regards,
Lukas

[1]
http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/quaternion/ci/default/tree/devel/test_eq.m