Re: Octave 3.8.0-rc2 release candidate available for ftp

From: qwert2003
Subject: Re: Octave 3.8.0-rc2 release candidate available for ftp
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 23:58:34 +0100

> Betreff: Re: Octave 3.8.0-rc2 release candidate available for ftp
> Datum: 23.12.2013
> Von: John W. Eaton <address@hidden>
> An: address@hidden
>
> On 12/22/2013 05:30 PM, address@hidden wrote:
> >> The second release candidate of Octave 3.8.0 is now available from
> >>
> >> alpha.gnu.org in the directory /gnu/octave:
> >>      2198cea81c0b56b1571743e7d5f6b83a  octave-3.8.0-rc2.tar.gz  (md5sum)
> >>
> >>      -rw-r--r-- 1 3003 3002 20597018 Dec 21 21:04 octave-3.8.0-rc2.tar.gz
> >>
> >> Please help make the 3.8.0 release a success by building from this
> >> release candidate and reporting any problems.
> >>
> >> I'll be making this the default build for mxe-octave soon.
> >>
> >> jwe
> >
> > OpenSUSE 12.2, x86_64
> > configure options: enable-jit, prefix

> >    FAIL         0
> >    XFAIL        7
> >    SKIPPED    208
> >
> > Successfully run m-files from within gui.
>
> That's a lot of skipped tests.  What dependencies are you missing?  What
> did the configure summary tell you about that?
>
> jwe

configure summary:
-----------
  Build Octave GUI:                   yes
  JIT compiler for loops:             yes
  Build Java interface:               yes
  Do internal array bounds checking:  no
  Use octave_allocator:               no
  Build static libraries:             no
  Build shared libraries:             yes
  Dynamic Linking:                    yes (dlopen)
  Include support for GNU readline:   yes
  64-bit array dims and indexing:     no

configure:72961: WARNING: AMD library not found.  This will result in some lack
of functionality for sparse matrices.
configure:72966: WARNING: CAMD library not found.  This will result in some
lack of functionality for sparse matrices.
configure:72971: WARNING: COLAMD library not found.  This will result in some
lack of functionality for sparse matrices.
configure:72976: WARNING: CCOLAMD library not found.  This will result in some
lack of functionality for sparse matrices.
configure:72981: WARNING: CHOLMOD library not found.  This will result in some
lack of functionality for sparse matrices.
configure:72986: WARNING: CXSparse library not found.  This will result in some
lack of functionality for sparse matrices.
configure:72991: WARNING: UMFPACK not found.  This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure:73179:
configure:73181: NOTE: Libraries or auxiliary programs may be skipped if they
are
configure:73183: NOTE: not found OR if they are missing required features on
your
configure:73185: NOTE: system.
-----------

For the missing libraries previously I did not find the devel-packages.

Now having seen that the header files are in the package "suitesparse-devel", I
get:

configure summary:
-----------
  Build Octave GUI:                   yes
  JIT compiler for loops:             yes
  Build Java interface:               yes
  Do internal array bounds checking:  no
  Use octave_allocator:               no
  Build static libraries:             no
  Build shared libraries:             yes
  Dynamic Linking:                    yes (dlopen)
  Include support for GNU readline:   yes
  64-bit array dims and indexing:     no

configure: WARNING: CHOLMOD library not found.  This will result in some lack
of functionality for sparse matrices.
configure: WARNING: UMFPACK not found.  This will result in some lack of
functionality for sparse matrices.
configure:
configure: NOTE: Libraries or auxiliary programs may be skipped if they are
configure: NOTE: not found OR if they are missing required features on your
configure: NOTE: system.
-----------

  PASS     11315
  FAIL         0
  XFAIL        7
  SKIPPED    188

The remaining missing libraries are installed, but not found by the configure
script:
        ~> whereis libcholmod
        libcholmod: /usr/lib64/libcholmod.so
        ~> whereis libumfpack
        libumfpack: /usr/lib64/libumfpack.so

The versions I have installed from a binary repository (3.6.2 from repo
openSUSE-12.2-Oss and 3.6.4 from obs://build.opensuse.org/science) seem to
have the same issue:
        octave:1> a = sparse(rand(10));
        octave:2> det(a)
        error: det: UMFPACK not installed

So I guess the missing cholmod/umfpack functionality on my openSUSE 12.2
system is not an octave issue.

Adrian