Re: Native MXE stops at qt

From: John D
Subject: Re: Native MXE stops at qt
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 14:44:33 -0500

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 10:23:27 -0800 (PST)
From: Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: Native MXE stops at qt [WAS: Re: Is the 3.8 "release ?
        official? -     mingw installer]

John Donoghue-2 wrote
> :
> <snip>
> :
> I updated the installer a few weeks ago with the changes from Anirudha
> that related to mingw as well as a few of my own. It doesn't create a
> desktop icon at the moment, but is easy to add. It does create the
> start menu icons, documentation shortcuts etc. Currently the 'main'
> octave shortcut runs the cli version of octave, with an additional
> shortcut called Experimental GUI.
> I don't know if anyone else has gotten a chance to try it out.

I just pulled & updated my MinGW (native) mxe-octave and got this:

[build]    qt

Failed to build package qt!
# in addition, .pc files have the wrong paths, mangled lib names if [ "yes"
= yes -a "mingw" != msvc ]; then find
/home/Philip/mxe-octave/tmp-qt/qt-everywhere-openso
urce-src-4.8.3/lib/pkgconfig/*.pc -exec sed -i -e
's,\(.*\)_location=.*,\1_location=${prefix}/bin/\1
,g' -e 's,\(Libs:.* -l\).*[\\/]\([A-Za-z0-9]*\),\1\2,g' '{}' ';' ; install
-d '/home/Philip/mxe-octa
ve/tmp-qt-install/home/Philip/mxe-octave/usr/lib/pkgconfig'; cp -f
'/home/Philip/mxe-octave/tmp-qt/q
t-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.3/lib/pkgconfig/'*.pc
'/home/Philip/mxe-octave/tmp-qt-install/home/P
hilip/mxe-octave/usr/lib/pkgconfig/'; fi
find:
`/home/Philip/mxe-octave/tmp-qt/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.3/lib/pkgco
nfig/*.pc':
No suc
h file or directory
cp: cannot stat
`/home/Philip/mxe-octave/tmp-qt/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.3/lib/pkgco
nfig/*.p
c': No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [build-only-qt] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Philip/mxe-octave'
real    7m34.593s
user    0m26.078s
sys     0m48.095s
[log]      /home/Philip/mxe-octave/log/qt

make: *** [/home/Philip/mxe-octave/installed-packages/qt] Error 1

Native build never get past qt here. In contrast, cross-builds perform
smooth and flawlessly.

I investigated the above error but couldn't find why the paths are wrong.

Perhaps the tools/set_mxe_env.sh script doesn't seem to get called as
there's no MXE-OCTAVE_ENV environment setting after the build stops at qt -
but maybe that is set within mk-dist itself?

Philip

-----

Qt should (and on my win7 box does) compile ok - I don't believe there has
been any changes to QT for a long while that could effect it, however:
Set_mxe_env.sh doesn't get called anywhere - I call it manually whenever
doing any native compiling, which is maybe why my compiles work.
It shouldn't need to be called as Makefile should set everything needed as
it does for cross builds, but I believe I looked before and couldn't find
any difference between what Makefile/mkdist sets and what I do with
set_mxe_env.

Native mxe build of octave requires a patch to octave in order to compile.

Cross compile works fine for me as well