Re: Removing packages from Octave Forge

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Re: Removing packages from Octave Forge
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 13:22:58 +0100

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 11:09:33AM +0100, Alexander Barth wrote:
> Dear Thomas and Carnë ,
> That a package produces a segmentation fault on a rarely used architecture
> can also happen with a actively maintained software. If no one use the
> package on a specific architecture, how could the maintainers know that
> there is a problem?

Excatly. The questions now is: if no one uses an octave-forge package,
who should report problems about it?

> To improve code quality, I would rather suggest to ask the maintainers (if
> they can be reached) to add a test script to their package which verifies
> the functioning of the package as a whole (e.g. test_<packagename>.m).

At least for Debian, that is not needed. We run all (non-interactive)
tests in .m and .cc files when building a package. Now, in theory, a
failing test should prevent the package from being uploaded. In
practice, some packages have long-standing failures in their testsuite.

        Thomas