Re: Problems merging stable to gui-release

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Problems merging stable to gui-release
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 16:26:57 -0500

On 01/25/2014 12:53 PM, Torsten wrote:
On 25.01.2014 17:55, John W. Eaton wrote:
When I try to merge stable to gui-release, I get a number of conflicts
due to line numbers being different in the translation files.

What's the right way to handle these conflicts?  I suppose line number
differences should be ignored but I don't want to ignore content changes
if they apply to both stable and gui-release.

The new text strings in the language files of the gui-release branch
haven't been translated yet. Therefore I assume that merging all changes
from the stable branch into the gui-release branch should be okay. After
the merge I will make a new update of the gui-release language files
(recollect all strings from the sources).

Here's one of the merge conflicts:

      <message>
  <<<<<<< local
          <location filename="../src/main-window.cc" line="+1963"/>
  =======
          <location filename="../src/main-window.cc" line="+1900"/>
          <source>&lt;p&gt;&lt;strong&gt;A Note about Octave&apos;s New GUI

Here, "local" is the gui-release branch and "other" is the stable
branch.  In this case, I think the line number 1963 is the correct one
for the gui-release sources.

Here's another (it applies to libgui/src/files-dock-widget.cc):

  <<<<<<< local
          <location line="+16"/>
  =======
          <location line="+12"/>
          <source>Search Directory...</source>
          <translation></translation>
      </message>
      <message>
          <location line="+4"/>

It's not clear to me which of these options is the correct one for the
gnu-release branch.