Re: very small packages - merge into general/miscelleneous or move into

From: c.
Subject: Re: very small packages - merge into general/miscelleneous or move into core
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 11:05:26 +0100

On 3 Feb 2014, at 02:34, Carnë Draug <address@hidden> wrote:

> I did not move just functions. I merged entire unmaintained packages
> around because we had (probably still have) too many packages. One
> single package is too little, but the current amount of packages is
> too high.

How do you measure "too high"?
Is having many contributions a bad thing?
Should we try to avoid getting new packages, or encourage that?

One of the purposes of OctaveForge used to be to reduce the entry barrier
for new contributors, which was accomplished by relaxing some constraints
that apply to contributors to Octave core.

Should we give up on this target?

> There was also move of a few functions, I remember
> specifically a few functions from miscellaneous being moved to IO
> (with permission from the IO package maintainer), but do you disagree
> with any of them?

No, if the package maintainers like those changes I see no problem with
any of that.

c.