Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave

From: Juan Pablo Carbajal
Subject: Re: developing the delaunayTriangulation class for Octave
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 19:38:18 +0100

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 4:39 PM, Linux User <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>To  c.
>>> Cc octave maintainers mailing list
>
> This current email says that octave.maintainers will be carbon copied.
> I am not sure if this will allow them to see the email.
>
>>>It would be a very useful contribution if you could try to make the
>>>implementation Matlab compatible, implementing the triangulation [1] and
>>>delaunayTriangulation [2] classes. The main reason for that is probably that
>>>those classes require classdef, and classdef
> implementation is not yet complete in Octave.
>
> After thinking about this coding issue for some time and going back to
> our previous discussions, I have finally concluded that I am no help
> to this project. It sounds like to me that the one and only reason why
> Octave developers have not implemented class like functionality such
> as [1] and [2] is because classdef does not exist, which means once
> Octave developers have classdef complete they will immediately just
> copy and paste their solutions for every missing class function from
> Matlab to Octave, rendering me obsolete.
>
> My skills as a programmer are better suited to solving math or phyiscs
> related problems, like creating the method functionality for [1] and
> [2], not so much on creating the architecture after the functionality
> is complete. This is another reason why I think I am obsolete.
>
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 8:53 AM, c. <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> On 11 Feb 2014, at 14:00, Linux User <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> This current email says that octave.maintainers will be carbon copied.
>>> I am not sure if this will allow them to see the email.
>>
>> You are top-posting again.
>>
>> c.

Hi linuxfreebird,

I followed your conversation and it seems to me that the msh project
could benefit with contributions from somebody with your expertise and
interest.
Would you like to re-define your contributions to make the msh package
better? It would be awesome to have a meshing package fast, compatible
and extendable.
I think you are not "obsolete", not at all, I am sure we have needs
for your skills.

Do you have other ideas you could work on?

@Carlo: How good are we for calculating Voronoi diagrams?
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Voronoi-Diagrams.html
Is there any extension we need here?