Re: Citation style for Manual

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Re: Citation style for Manual
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 18:12:24 +0000

On 03/24/2014 06:11 PM, Rik wrote:
3/24/14

John,

We have about 50 citations in the manual to various books, journal, or
dissertations.  Is there a preferred format for these?  If not, I think we
should choose one and harmonize.  I've been looking at using the IEEE
citation style.

--Rik
Rik,

I have had to use the IEEE style quite a lot and I do not like it much. Actually, the whole package of LaTeX style stuff that you required to use for their publications is widely (at least around EE at Stanford) viewed as a big headache. Many people cannot handle it directly and dump it on some grad student. The author initials first is
uncommon and seems nonsensical to me.

The MLA standard looks better and seems to be widely used.

One thing that I think is important, and IEEE does not allow at all, is that the citation should give the author name, not just [n]. This can be done by just typing the name before the \reference, but doing it this way (which the IEEE editors refuse to allow) can
be error prone.

There seem to be lots of BibTeX citation styles around. It would good to choose one of these even though they cannot (I think) be directly used in the Manual (or can they?).

Definitely settling one one "correct" way to do this is a very good idea.

Michael