Re: [RFC] Octave and internationalization

From: Pascal Dupuis
Subject: Re: [RFC] Octave and internationalization
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 08:48:36 +0200

> Since this is a discussion about Octave's development, it belongs in
> the maintainers' list, not in the help list.

I disagree. You are referring to the Cathedral model, while I view
this call in the Bazaar model. My point of view is that at this stage,
we have to first map the user needs, prioritize them and discuss some
rough calendar.

> I'm a little excited that finally someone is thinking about doing
> something about i18n in Octave, but I think you're severely
> underestimating the amount of effort that it will take to get this
> working properly. But hey, it has to start somewhere.

As already mentionned, being "neutral" W.R.T UTF-8 is a realistic
short term objective. We have to spot the few places where chars are
truncated from 8bits to 7bits.

Regards

Pascal