Re: [RFC] Octave and internationalization

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [RFC] Octave and internationalization
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 14:06:59 -0400

On Thu, 2014-04-03 at 08:48 +0200, Pascal Dupuis wrote:

> > Since this is a discussion about Octave's development, it belongs in
> > the maintainers' list, not in the help list.
>
> I disagree. You are referring to the Cathedral model, while I view
> this call in the Bazaar model.

Sigh, this is nothing about cathedrals nor bazaars, but the fact that
the help list is for help and the maintainers' list is for
maintainers. Nobody is being excluded and the maintainers' list isn't
secret and our source code tree isn't hidden. A hidden maintainers'
list and hidden source code tree is what esr means when he says
"cathedral". He was referring to early GNU development. "The Cathedral
and the Bazaar" is a criticism of early 1990's GNU development.

This is not what's happening here.

I'm just saying that the people who are following the help list and
not following the maintainers' list are doing so because they want
help and they are not interested in maintaining Octave. We should
respect their decision by keeping subjects they are not interested in
out of their inbox.

> As already mentionned, being "neutral" W.R.T UTF-8 is a realistic
> short term objective. We have to spot the few places where chars are
> truncated from 8bits to 7bits.

Okay, then do it and submit patches with extensive tests. Or write the
tests first and then write code that will pass those tests.

- Jordi G. H.