Re: printf integer format compatibility

From: Michael D. Godfrey
Subject: Re: printf integer format compatibility
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 00:00:31 +0100

On 04/16/2014 02:50 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
This change caused a few new test failures in cases where '%d' was previously assumed to always produce an integer result. I fixed one problem in the datestr function by rounding the printf argument that was used with a '%d' format. I could use some help fixing the stemleaf function since I'm not sure what the intent is there.

jwe

As I said, the fact that %d now produces non-integer results in some cases is the cause of the stemleaf.m failures. Right now, I think that this actually was a coding error in stemleaf.m: I was allowing a non-integer step size when it should be integer.

But, I need to think about this a bit more before committing the change. The fact that the changed code passes the tests (also revised) under previous version of Octave is a good sign.

I suspect that there will be some other places where this change in the behavior
of %d will reveal problems.

Michael