A symbolic package using SymPy

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: A symbolic package using SymPy
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 21:34:13 +0800

Hi,

I've been tinkering with making a symbolic package using the Python CAS SymPy. The goal is feature parity with other symbolic packages.

You can try it now, either git clone, or just download a .zip file (which works as a GNU Octave package).

https://github.com/cbm755/octsympy

Here's some examples:

> pkg install octsympy-master.zip
> pkg load octsympy
> syms x y z a b c k
> A = [sin(x/2) floor(exp(x*c)); ...
acosh(x^(b*c)/pi) ceil(sin(x/gamma(x)))]
> pretty(A)
>
> f = exp(-x^2);
> F = fourier(f,x,k);
> pretty(F)
> g = ifourier(F,k,x);
> simplify(f - g)
>
> limit(1/x, x, 0, 'left')

If you have problems with the Python communication (I've only tested on GNU/Linux and my guess is it doesn't work out-of-box on Windows), try:

> octsympy_config ipc_system

I'd be happy to move everything elsewhere at some point, but for now, issue tracker is also at GitHub, so please give it a try and file some bugs ;-) Help also very much appreciated!

best,
Colin

--
Colin Macdonald
University Lecturer in Numerical Methodologies