Re: Building Octave4Android

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: Building Octave4Android
Date: Sat, 24 May 2014 12:26:52 +0900 (JST)

--- On Fri, 2014/5/23, Andreas Weber wrote:
> Am 23.05.2014 05:01, schrieb Tatsuro MATSUOKA:
> > --- On Fri, 2014/5/23, Doug Stewart wrote:
> >> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 9:47 PM, vinukn wrote:
> >> I think octave4andeoid uses octave source code,so it should release source
> >> code. Can I sell binaries of a GPL software?
> >> Yes you can sell Binaries.
> >>
> >> See:
> >> https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#search/android/141dc7b9db357417
> > According to the following page,
> > http://wiki.octave.org/Android
> > "the source above makes it possible for you to duplicate his work and avoid
> > paying him by undertaking the chore of building Octave for Android
> > yourself. Any person with enough skill could take the Octave sources,
> > Corbin's GitHub repository, and the Android SDK to reproduce his work
> > without the need to pay for anything. Here is the donation dialog "
> >
> > Important thing is that other people can build octave for Android from the
> > octave source and the repository resources but not charge free or not.
> >
> > For the pointer shown by Mike
> > https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/tree/b3bb7f6
> >
> > I peer into one of the repository directory
> > https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/tree/b3bb7f6de607a99840f8b4e6dd40ae12460d2563/octave/Term/src/jackpal/androidterm
> >
> > and found java source code.
> >
> > I think that the pointer to the repository shown on the wiki is wrong.
> >
> > Tatsuro
> >
> Dear Tatsuro,
> Corbin removed most of the sourcecode with commit
> 6687c0b2826c1ee35496c1679ae756e34fe0d953
> Do you think the wiki page should link to a specific commit rather than
> the hole repository?
>
> The Link behind "Here is the donation dialog [1]
> <https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android/blob/b3bb7f6de607a99840f8b4e6dd40ae12460d2563/octave/src/com/octave/octaveMain.java#L375>"
> already links to the revision Mike posted.
>
> In changeset 6687c0b2826c1ee35496c1679ae756e34fe0d953, there were 27,904
> deletions which makes the repo in 23.Mai 2014 almost empty.
> Perhaps we should ask Corbin what happened.
>
> I made an update of the wiki page, please add more infos if you think
> its not sufficient yet.
>
> -- Andy
Hi Andy

Thank you for your explanations.

> In changeset 6687c0b2826c1ee35496c1679ae756e34fe0d953, there were 27,904
> deletions which makes thehttps://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android.git repo
> in 23.Mai 2014 almost empty.
> Perhaps we should ask Corbin what happened.

I agree.
If  deletions affect creation of new works, it might be a problem for the GPL.

I think that it will be better to also mention the address pointed by Mike in
addition to the root address considering current situation.

BTW, for the beginner, it might to be better to mention how to clone git
repository:

$ git clone  https://github.com/corbinlc/octave4android.git

(Refer gnulib page: http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/)

It might be helpful, one can also download zip archives from the page using
"Download ZIP".

Tatsuro