Should xelem bounds-check (and reference-check) when debugging options a

From: David Spies
Subject: Should xelem bounds-check (and reference-check) when debugging options are on?
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2014 11:42:25 -0600

Hello,

When constructing (or accessing) matrix elements, I'd like to be able to call a function which does bounds-checking (and in the case of assignment, reference-count-checking with an exception if there's more than one reference) only when debugging options are turned on.

I'm proposing adding these checks to the xelem method instead of creating a new method for it.  I can't imagine why it's necessary to have a method that does "no checks of any kind ever! Not even when debugging!"

What do people think of the idea?

Thanks,
David