Visual comparison of plot files

From: Rik
Subject: Visual comparison of plot files
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 10:51:54 -0700

> Result of visual comparison:
>
> * gnuplot axis_09, axis_10, axis_11, axis_12, axis_13
>   No, [x,y]axislocation' 'zero' -> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?40588

This is an Octave (and gnuplot) only extension.  It's not a problem that Matlab doesn't implement this.

> * gnuplot + fltk colorbar_23_1: xtick unreadable
>
> * matlab comet3_01_1, comet_01_1.png only the beginning of the
>   animation. Perhaps we need to add a delay?

I wouldn't bother with this one.  Matlab implements comet in a completely different way which means printing isn't really possible for them.

> * gnuplot + fltk compass_01_1: no proper scaling/zoom.
>   Perhaps we can use polar as drawing function for compass?

compass is correct in 3.8.1.  The dev version has changed the underlying polar plot command, and apparently a side effect is that compass isn't scaling properly anymore.  This should be filed as a Regression bug report on Savannah.

> * gnuplot ezsurf_02_1: distorted despite "axis equal"
>
> * gnuplot + ftlk: fill_01_1, fill_02_1:
>   hidden edges keep visible in matlab, not with fltk or gnuplot

Are they visible on screen?  Matlab also uses gl2ps, I think, to print things and there are some differences between what is rendered on-screen and what is rendered in the png file.  If I run demo ('fill', 1) in FLTK then the on-screen image shows the hidden edge.  It is only the printed version that differs.

> * gnuplot fill_03_1: unusable
>
> * gnuplot + ftlk: hold_07_1: red rectangle hides

Is this also true in the on-screen version, or is it only the printed one?

--Rik