Re: Is it worth switching to CMake?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Is it worth switching to CMake?
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2014 10:43:30 -0400

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 09:21:35 +0530, PrasannaKumar Muralidharan wrote:
> Is it worth switching from autotools to cmake for building octave?

This is essentially impossible, since gnulib depends on autoconf, so
it would be a tremendous effort to replace autotools, but even if it
were easy to switch to CMake...

> Pros:
> 1. Using cmake will make windows builds easier

... then we still won't get this benefit. It is a bit of a fantasy.
CMake more or less requires you to maintain separate build systems per
OS. The only benefit is that you can write each of those separate
build systems with the same language, and you get

I know Windows users much prefer a "native" MSVC solution file , and
Mac OS X users much prefer to write their own Xcode project files.
There are many complaints with the auto-generated versions of these
with CMake.

> 2. Easy to manage and extend

I understand that people find autotools horrifying. Sometimes I do
too. The problem, however, isn't autotools but the task itself:
building is horrifying. Every build system brings its own set of
horrors with it. CMake is no exception.

- Jordi G. H.