Re: generate_html: "docbrowser" style ?

From: John Swensen
Subject: Re: generate_html: "docbrowser" style ?
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 08:47:02 -0400

On Sep 7, 2014, at 10:37 AM, Søren Hauberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Den 07-09-2014 kl. 15:55 skrev Julien Bect:
>> Still doing some cleaning in the generate_html package, I just noticed
>> that there is a "docbrowser" style in get_html_options ().
>>
>> The help text simply says : "Design corresponding to the pages in the
>> documentation browser", but which "documentation browser" is that ?
>>
>> I can find no other mention of this style elsewhere in the package, and
>> I don't know where to find the corresponding doc.css file.
>
> As I recall (it's been a while, though), John Swensen had a documentation
> browser in his GUI, which used this style. I have yet to use the current
> Octave IDE, so I don't know if that uses this type of HTML documentation. It
> could very well be that this style is no longer used by anybody.
>
> Søren

I actually had downloaded the latest publicly available documentation package
and used a library and utility called omindex and Xapian to generate a very
fast search index for the documentation. This search uses syntax similar to
google with quotes, and/or, "+" for exact matching, etc. I haven't worked on
OctaveDE at all since the Qt effort was officially supported as part of the
Octave project. A while back (6-12 months) I had thought about building the
same functionality into the new GUI, but I spent about 4-6 hours trying to get
generate_html to work and couldn't get it to generate the pages like the
package I had downloaded previously.

John