Re: Hamming etc. windows are wrong

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Hamming etc. windows are wrong
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 14:19:17 -0400

Hi Jerry, replying only to and in the context of Octave...

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 01:41:55 -0700, Jerry wrote:
> I’ve noticed that the Hamming window (and I suppose other windows)
> provided by Octave, SciPy****, and NumPy***** is wrong
[...]
> So rather than host an argument on this list, this is what I propose:
> Do what Matlab** does. Acknowledge both uses by making a flag to
> handle the “periodic” or the “symmetric” cases. The Matlab default is
> “symmetric” which is of course unfortunate but at least such inclusion
> in Octave, NumPy, and SciPy would retain compatibility with the
> existing usage. Then it’s up to the user whether to shoot him/herself
> in the foot, assuming that such a decision is guided by actually
> referring to the documentation for the package being used and not
> blindly using the default.

No argument here. Rest assured that is something that I have planned to
do in Octave for hamming and the other window functions that take a
symmetric/periodic option flag in Matlab.

If there is not a bug report already open about this, feel free to file
one. It's already on my own task list, so I expect it will get done
eventually.

Cheers,

--
mike