Re: OctSymPy v0.1.1 release

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: OctSymPy v0.1.1 release
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:36:34 +0100

On 24 October 2014 09:36, Colin Macdonald <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 24/10/14 00:06, Carnë Draug wrote:
>> Would you be interested on having this released as an Octave Forge package?
>
> Yes, definitely.
>
> I just checked and it seems to be no problem to have "octsympy" and
> the old "symbolic" package installed.  Although loading them both must
> be a bit unpredictable.
>
> A thought on logistics for doing so:
>
> For GNU/Linux or Mac systems, it works as a standard package.  Same
> for Windows if you have Python and SymPy installed.
>
> But I've also been making packages for windows which include bundled
> SymPy and a Python binary (.exe file) so that it has no deps.  The
> build system for this is just a script and is not integrated into my
> Makefile.  Maybe this will not work as Octave Forge?

No. Octave Forge only releases source and we don't have a mechanism to
differenciate between platforms.  Also, we take the approach of letting
the user manage the dependencies (usually through their package manager
of choise).  You could have a configure script that checks for SimPy
availability during installation and fails with an error message
pointing to the dependency.

Or you could have the normal package released in Octave Forge and still
have your modified one with bundled SimPy distributed via your own
webspace.

Carnë