Re: Installation of 3.8.2 on Mac

From: c.
Subject: Re: Installation of 3.8.2 on Mac
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 22:01:46 +0100

On 26 Nov 2014, at 20:01, Bradley Giesbrecht <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Carlo,
>
> Any chance of getting some history of what has been tried and the results?

The last version for which we had a working relocatable .app bundle was 3.2.3
That version was generated via custom bash scripts that was initially created
by Thomas Treichl.

That script and related work can still be found in the repository on Octave
Forge here:
http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/octave-forge/admin/MacOSX/Octave.app/
http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/octave-forge/admin/MacOSX/Octave.app/dmgpacker/

The resulting distribution is also on OctaveForge, here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/octave/files/Octave%20MacOSX%20Binary/2009-10-03%20binary%20of%20Octave%203.2.3/

That did not fail it was just abandoned short after Thomas gave up maintainance
as nobody cared enough
to take over (Someone used similar scripts to create a 3.4.0 bundle at some
point IIRC).

Since 3.8.0 I started generating bundles using macports' 'port mpkg' feature
and Packages.app.
The .mpg installs all libraries and executable in /usr/local/octave/<version
number> and a launcher
is installed in /Applications.

To make this work I have to maintain a few local patched PortFiles but the rest
is essentially handled
just by MacPorts, which makes this much easier to maintain (IMHO) than the
previous approach.

On the other hand this does not produce a self contained, relocatable .app
bundle which would be cleaner.

> I see the "Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>", would this be a good
> list for me to follow Mac OS X issues?

That is not Mac OS X specific, but topics related to Mac OS X do come up here
quite often lately.
You can also have a look at the Octave trackers on savannah for issues related
to the OSX version of Octave.
Some discussion also went on in the MacPorts tracker.

> --
> Brad
c.