Re: CI integration for Octave on OSX

From: Bradley Giesbrecht
Subject: Re: CI integration for Octave on OSX
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 19:18:47 -0800

On Dec 3, 2014, at 11:48 AM, Ben Abbott <address@hidden> wrote:

>> On Dec 3, 2014, at 1:11 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> Ok, thanks for looking into that. It might be useful just as one more
>>> automated build test case, but ultimately probably not what we really
>>> want for builds on OS X, since it would depend on the rest of the Nix
>>> package system, which sounds like yet another different environment
>>> from stock OS X or macports or homebrew or ...
>>>
>>> Brad, Carlo, is the main intent to produce build logs and bug reports,
>>> or to produce an end-user-installable app/dmg/whatever? It would be
>>> good to define up front what the goal of this CI system will be.
>>
>> I understand the goal to be "end-user-installable app/dmg/whatever".
>>
>> It may be necessary to have multiple "apps" for different versions of OS X,
>> is there a policy in place for backward compatibility?
>
> Are you asking about OS compatibility? Meaning "Should a bundle created on
> Mavericks run on Yosemite?"
>
> I think that would be preferred. The bundle I created on Lion still runs for
> me on Yosemite.

Yes, that is what I mean. As Apple and others have moved to clang/libc++ there
were some "migration pains". As I understand it Lion and Mountain Lion had a
mixture of gcc/clang/libstdc++/libc++ and are somewhat harder to support. Snow
Leopard (last to contain rosetta/carbon/ppc compatibility) is probably easy to
support as well as Mavericks forward. I'm no expert on these issues but I have
read many hundreds of emails over the years discussing the issues presented by
the move from gcc/libstdc++ to clang/libc++.

My main reason for asking is my intention to setup some vm's to allow us to
collaborate on a solution. I have a base image for Mavericks I have been using
for some KDE and MariaDB projects so I'll just start with that.

--
Brad