Re: [ov-java.cc] Introduce a fallback mechanism in case the JVM lib chan

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: [ov-java.cc] Introduce a fallback mechanism in case the JVM lib changed
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:06:52 -0800 (PST)

CdeMills wrote
> Hello,
>
> There is an long ongoing annoyance in ov-java: the path of libjvm is
> statically determined at build time. This means that every version upgrade
> requires to rebuild Octave. I experienced it a few days ago on Fedora 21.
> I produced a patch introducing a fallback mechanism: if the original file
> can't be found, it is searched from the environment variable
> "JAVA_JVM_LIB".
>
> The patch was introduced against bug 40111 which is a bit old. Could the
> maintainers of the java stack have a look at it ?

Thanks for this patch. I do like the idea. I've also hit the libjvm.so issue
on Linux systems.

As I'm not a "Java stack maintainer" I haven't looked in detail at it, but
AFAICS:

- Can one (does one have to) specify the location of the jvm lib all the way
into the ../client/ or .../server/ subdir?
A potential gotcha is that if Octave was compiled for 64bit, it doesn't help
to have it point to a 32bit JRE (incl. jvm).  I suppose that your code
catches that, hopefully gracefully.

- Is the patch only valid for Linux systems?
It may also happen on 64-bit Windows systems that there's a mix-up between
server/ and client/ directories (on 64-bit systems jvm.dll is usually in
server/ while on 32bit it is usually in client/). As a consequence, Octave
sometimes fails to find jvm.dll.
Perhaps your patch comes in handy for users on e.g. company networks who
have no credentials to copy the jvm.dll over to the .../client/ subdir.

BTW, my experience is that it is perfectly possible to have both a 32bit and
a 64-bit JRE (jvm.dll) installed on a system, at least on Windows. I haven't
tried it on Linux yet.

Philip