Re: style for error and warning messages

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: style for error and warning messages
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 10:10:34 -0800 (PST)

John W. Eaton wrote
> Currently, most of Octave uses a style for error and warning messages
> that is something like this:
>
>    warning ("nchoosek: possible loss of precision");
>
> but now that error and warning messages display stack trace information
> by default, having the name of the function as a prefix for the message
> is redundant.  Does anyone object to removing the function name as a
> prefix to error and warning messages?

There are several cases where a stack trace looks redundant to me as the
warning or error message itself provides sufficient info; a stack trace may
just be distracting then.
Examples: file not found errors, or wrong or too few input parameters.

I didn't know that the default is full info in all cases, but OK Matlab does
the same AFAIK.

If the default setting is overridden and a warning or error message pops up
(w/o function name) I suppose there's no more clue where it came from?

Philip