Compiled Octave 3.8.2 for Android. Plotting with gnuplot?

From: Forrest Carroll
Subject: Compiled Octave 3.8.2 for Android. Plotting with gnuplot?
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 23:30:07 -0500

I've compiled Octave 3.8.2 and all of its' dependencies, as well as most of its' optional dependencies, minus hdf5 and Graphics Magick, for Android. Specifically, to run on an HTC One m8.

Here's what I used for configure:

--host=arm-cortexa9_neon-linux-gnueabihf --prefix=/home/shadowed/octave/native --disable-java --disable-gui --without-hdf5 --with-x=no --without-framework-carbon --without-opengl --without-framework-opengl --with-sysroot=/home/shadowed/octave/native --with-blas=/home/shadowed/octave/native/lib/libblas.a --with-lapack=/home/shadowed/octave/native/lib/liblapack.a host_alias=arm-cortexa9_neon-linux-gnueabihf LDFLAGS=-L/home/shadowed/octave/native/lib CPPFLAGS=-I/home/shadowed/octave/native/include

It is nearly flawless. Nearly. I can't plot, or, more accurately, I can't set the default plotter.

As far as I can tell, none of the options I've selected keep the finished binary from plotting with gnuplot, which I have set up to create a .png image (/sdcard2/plot.png). However, when I run:

        octave: 1> graphics_toolkit("gnuplot")

It returns:

        error: 'graphics_toolkit' undefined near line 1 column 1

I can register gnuplot just fine, and it will show in the list of available graphics toolkits, but Octave refuses to load it.

Similar errors I've seen around are related to old binaries, but this is the last release. Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this? Recompiling is not an issue, if need be, but I'd like to know what might fix it beforehand.

Thanks.

-FC