Re: eliminating start-up message for non-interactive sessions

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: eliminating start-up message for non-interactive sessions
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 12:40:59 -0500

On 01/21/2015 12:11 PM, Carnë Draug wrote:
On 21 January 2015 at 01:38, Rik <address@hidden> wrote:

Your suggestion made a lot of sense so I implemented it in this cset
(http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/6ba5f1ff041e).  It still
prints the start-up message if you use input redirection to feed Octave a
script, but I don't think many people do that.  It certainly handles the
shebang case and the --eval CODE case.

Hi Rik

I was thinking of taking a different approach at this which covers the
case of having the code sent to STDIN.  Instead of disabling the display
of the message when there is --eval or script file, only display the
message for interactive sessions and change he value of interactive
when there is a script and code to eval.  Here it is (inlined because it
is so simple)

In the meantime, I checked in a separate patch in addition to Rik's that has the same effect:

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/f3ac54ac2c6a

In any case, I agree that we should also avoid the startup message unless we are interactive or forced interactive. And that reading input from a script file should probably not be considered an interactive session (unless that has some other consequence, like closing stdin and not allowing user interaction; I can't remember if that is the case). So if there is a cleaner solution than the combination of Rik's patch and mine, please go ahead and use it.