Re: Cleaning up C++ input validation of strings

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Cleaning up C++ input validation of strings
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 12:52:34 -0500

On 02/17/2015 12:32 PM, Rik wrote:

I'm sure I haven't gotten everywhere, but I have been trying to improve the
input validation in Octave for the reasons above.  In cases where the
function is expecting an option string, but gets something else, Octave
should issue an error and stop so the problem can be corrected.

I could be mistaken, but the notion of conversions was there from the beginning because at the time I think Matlab often allowed numbers to be converted to strings. So there is the possibility that something that would not return true for "is_string" (like a numeric array) would nevertheless have a string_value method that could produce a string. But that doesn't seem terribly useful.

In the cases I mean to clean up, the is_string() function is already in
place to do this:

if (arg.is_string ())
else
   error ("OPTION must be a string")

It's in the ellipsis code that I don't think it is worth checking
error_state because I already know the arg is a string and string_value
should therefore be able to extract a value without problems and without
the need to check error_state.

Yes, I agree.