4.0 Release Bugs

From: Rik
Subject: 4.0 Release Bugs
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 12:25:39 -0800

2/18/15

All,

The number of bugs has been impressively culled (http://wiki.octave.org/Bug_Fix_List_-_4.0_Release).

The remaining ones are likely to be a bit more difficult, although it appears that several reports will be fixed by a single code change.

I've grouped a few of the outstanding bugs in to what I think are related phenomena.

GUI Performance:
Owner: jwe #44156 Don't update GUI Variable Browser Window unless at top-level for performance
Owner: ??? #39646 intermediate workspace display overload when executing 'test'

Windows Splash Screen:
Owner: ??? #41088 add a splash screen (loading is non-instantaneous)
Owner: ??? #41074 MinGW: avoid showing terminal window while GUI is loading

Even though this is a visual thing, Octave is going to be evaluated based on how nice it looks and how well it seems to be a native Windows application.  I think we should fix this.

Windows Calculation Differences:
Owner: ??? #44206 test complex.tst fails in MXE-octave
Owner: ??? #43741 different results from power operator in mxe-octave GUI/CLI

These are serious not because of the magnitude of the difference, but because it points out that we may not be linking to the right libraries at all times.

Encoding of Windows Terminal (UTF-8 or something else)
Owner: ??? #42036 Files and directories with non-ASCII characters not handled correctly on Windows
Owner: ??? #43099 utf-8 files: editor, command windows issues, workspace pane shows correctly
Owner: ??? #42469 GUI crashes on international character after autocompletion

I'm going to give us 1 week (until 2/25) for the remaining bugs on the list (http://wiki.octave.org/Bug_Fix_List_-_4.0_Release).  If they can't be fixed in that time it likely indicates they have deep architectural implications and won't be fixed in time for version 4.0.

--Rik