Re: Qt graphics zooming

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Qt graphics zooming
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 21:47:57 +0100

John W. Eaton <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03/03/2015 01:28 PM, Rik wrote:

This works well when using single mouse clicks.  I would add the same
code to the canvasWheelEvent so that mouse wheel zoom is also based on
the current location.

-- Canvas.cc:795 --
// FIXME: should we zoom about point for 2D plots?

ap.zoom (mode, factor);
-- End Code --

It looks like that may have been intended.
... [show rest of quote]

I'm not sure that's how Matlab works.  Maybe someone else can verify?

I don't really care one way or the other, but if we diverge from what
Matlab does, I expect we'll get a bug report about it...

Let's limit Matlab compatibility to being able to run Matlab code.

If we extend it to mouse gestures etc, we can as well copy verbatim the entire Matlab GUI, just to avoid bug reports about that :-)

I find the way mouse zooming works in fltk very intuitively (zooming w. mouse wheel relative to mouse pointer, right-button drag to zoom w/o the need for separate zoom buttons); I feel little need to sacrifice such functionality to arrive at how current Matlab (r2015a prerelease) works. At ML's File Exchange there's even a utility to improve ML's zooming behavior to more or less like Octave/fltk works (http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/25666-mouse-friendly-figure).

BTW Why was mouse_wheel_zoom deprecated? Also for ML compatibility? I find it a quite useful function.

Philip