How to publish source code in a octave package release

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: How to publish source code in a octave package release
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 08:03:46 +0100

I have the following very special problem with an octave-forge package and I am not sure which would be the best solution. Please tell me your opinion.

First, the simple part: When I make a release, the package comprises all the m-file scripts and cc-sources (for compilation on the target system). This is good, because any relevant sources are automatically made available to the user when she gets the package.

Now, the complicated part: I use a code generator which produces unit tests for the package. The output is in m-file script syntax, but not the preferred form for making modifications to it. The input for the generator (the actual source of the unit tests) are several files partly under Apache License 2.0 or GPLv3+. I generate several tst-files during package release and include them in the tarball, because I do not expect the end user to have the code generator (and its dependencies) installed on her system.

Do I have to make the sources of this generated code available to the end user? The answer is probably “yes” for the GPL based unit tests.

If yes, in what form? Does it suffice to add a link to the public mercurial repository? Should I add the sources to the release tarball?