Re: GSoC 2015: Optimization Package: Non-linear and constrained least sq

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: GSoC 2015: Optimization Package: Non-linear and constrained least squares lsqcurvefit, lsqlin, lsqnonlin
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 11:00:19 +0100

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 03:34:14PM -0700, AsmaA wrote:
> Hi Olaf,
>

> Olaf Till-2 wrote
> > On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 02:41:58PM -0700, AsmaA wrote:
> >
> > Hi AsmaA,
> >
> > I have preliminarily added it to optim so that you can look at it by
> > pulling from the repository.
>
> Thank-you very much!
>

> Olaf Till-2 wrote
> > The changes I deemed necessary were, I think, substantial enough to
> > add myself to the copyright notices.
> >
> > Please have a look at this version, can you live with the changes?
>
> The changes look great.

So I finished your contribution (NEWS, package documentation).

> lsqlin is a special case of quadprog. So I gave it an attempt as well.
>
> See
> https://github.com/AsmaAfzal/octave_workspace/blob/master/lsqlin.m
> https://github.com/AsmaAfzal/octave_workspace/blob/master/runlsqlin.m

I'll take a look and will probably add it for you. I like this better
than quadprog since, according to what you formerly pointed out,
linprog really adds new functionality, sparing the user a probably not
quite obvious rearrangement of terms. Thanks.

As Nir said, having some '%!demo' or '%!test' code would be good. But
it needn't necessarily be ready before adding lsqlin. Would be good
also for quadprog.

> I really should start focusing on the GSoC application forms now.

Only to be informed, what's the current state -- Octave is rejected by
google but tries to get indirectly accepted via the FSF, have I
understood that right?

Olaf