Win32 Terminal capabilities

From: Rik
Subject: Win32 Terminal capabilities
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 11:46:19 -0700

4/4/15

While trying to solve https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?44661 it
became apparent that the Windows terminal is in line-buffered mode
(requiring an <ENTER> at the end of input before it is passed to Octave for
processing).  This doesn't work for routines like pause() or kbhit() which
need to process just a single keystroke.  When I look at the code for kbhit
in sysdep.cc it leads to the raw_mode() function which is supposed to
switch the terminal mode to unbuffered.  There are three #ifdef blocks in
that function that decide which set of library functions to use to
manipulate the terminal (HAVE_TERMIOS_H, HAVE_TERMIO_H, HAVE_SGTTY_H).

When we cross-compile, however, none of the tests in configure.ac work and
I find this in the mxe log file for octave:

configure: WARNING: I couldn't find termios.h, termio.h, or sgtty.h!

I also verified on a Windows machine with octave_config_info() that none of
the #defines are set.

Does anyone know which terminal might be available?  I'd like to try adding
a manual '-DOPTION' to the configure command for octave and see if that
works.  And longer term, is there a package we could add to mxe that would
give us one of these terminal options?

--Rik