Re: How to build a package

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: How to build a package
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 21:38:23 +0200

On 15.04.2015 21:25, Rafael Gonzalez wrote:
Is there documentation to know the process of building a package for
octave? And once it is done how can it be distributed with octave like
the telecommunications package for example?

I saw there is an optics package but I think it can be improved. Maybe
making wrapping functions in octave for the goptical project could
improve this package. Is there any restriction using other GNU projects
in octave?

Rafael,

please find general instructions for making a package for GNU Octave [1] and making a package release for Octave Forge packages (like optics) [2].

The Octave Forge packages can be installed from within GNU Octave using the “pkg -forge” command. A selected set of packages is going to be distributed together with the upcoming Windows binary release.

The goptical library is licensed unter the GPLv2+. It would be possible that you use this library within oct-files [3] of a package if you plan to release your package unter the GPL (the optics package already has this license).

Since most GNU software is distributed under GPL (or compatible) license, you can probably use them easily.

Oliver

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Creating-Packages.html#Creating-Packages
[2] http://octave.sourceforge.net/developers.html
[3] https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Oct_002dFiles.html#Oct_002dFiles