Re: Manual for GNU Octave package (Octave-Forge)

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Manual for GNU Octave package (Octave-Forge)
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 21:24:25 +0200

On 26.04.2015 18:57, Julien Bect wrote:
Le 26/04/2015 12:32, Oliver Heimlich a écrit :
The wiki documentation is no longer an advantage and I want the
package release to contain a matching documentation (for many
different reasons) from now on. I started a doc/manual.texinfo file,
which is naturally also going to be in the release tarball. However,
the “pkg install” will probably drop it and the user is never going to
see the manual. How should I release the manual?

According to

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/Creating-Packages.html#Creating-Packages

the files in doc "will be directly installed in a sub-directory of the
installed package for future reference."

Look at the control package, for instance. After installation, you
should find a pdf user manual in doc/control.pdf.

Yes, this perfectly works.

1. Should I generate a HTML version of the package manual and include
it in the [package]-html.tar.gz for publication on Octave Forge? I
could use the HTML template from the generate_html package to get a
matching design. I could patch the package's index.html to contain a
link to the manual next to the function reference.

There is already a minimal support for the inclusion of a "package
manual" in the generate_html package.

As an example (hmmm... perhaps the only example ?) you can look at :

http://octave.sourceforge.net/optim/index.html

(see the "Package Documentation" hyperlink on the right).

This is exactly what I was looking for. I gave it a try with my early manual draft and everything works out of the box.

You can also have a look at the optim_doc.m which provides a direct
access to the info doc of the optim package from within octave.

I don't need that kind of feature and the optim_doc.m code looks like it could be handled more general by the pkg or doc command in GNU Octave core.

I hope this helps (and I'm looking forward to reading what others might
have to say about this issue).

@++
Julien

Very helpful, indeed. I am going to focus on the HTML documentation for Octave Forge then. Users as well as downstream distributors can do whatever they need with the Texinfo sources.

Oliver