Re: GCC 5.1.0 in mxe-octave

From: Tatsuro MATSUOKA
Subject: Re: GCC 5.1.0 in mxe-octave
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 17:07:04 +0900 (JST)

----- Original Message -----

> From: John W. Eaton
> To: Octave Maintainers List
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: 2015/5/7, Thu 05:05
> Subject: GCC 5.1.0 in mxe-octave
>
> I updated mxe-octave and noticed that GCC has been updated to 5.1.0.  Is this
> necessary for some bug fixes?  If not, I'd prefer to stay at the previous
> version for the Octave 4.0.x releases.
>
> More generally, how should we manage Octave releases and mxe-octave
> development?  I'd guess that whatever Octave 4.0.x releases that we make
> should be done with the same set of tools.  Also possibly with the same set
> of
> packages, with only bug fixes applied, same as we do for the Octave releases
> themselves.  But I don't know that we have a good way of handling that as
> package development proceeds separately from Octave development.

I point annoying bugs for windows users for those who use non-ascii characters.

1. Files and directories with non-ASCII characters not handled correctly on
Windows
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?42036

This might come from bug of MinGW compiler handling unicode.

2.  command window problem for windows for Japanese
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44538

(This bug is not only for Japanese but also for Chinese.)

This might be a problem of handling windows code page.

The bug 1 seems to be related the mingw-gcc (4.x.x).
If it is solved in 5.1.0, it is worth to use it, I think.
I cannot test gcc 5.1 of the mingw64 project because the 5.1 directories are
empty.

BTW, the cygwin version of octave does naturally not suffer any problems of the
above on octave-3.8.2.

Tatsuro