Re: Add doctest pkg to octave-forge

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: Re: Add doctest pkg to octave-forge
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 11:45:36 +0100

On 08/07/15 06:43, Oliver Heimlich wrote:
Also Octave Forge developers might not want to switch to the 4.2 branch
yet. They could not use doctest until the release?!? No! The current
doctest package from Github should already contain enough functionality
for most—if not all—packages and could be used until then. At some point
Forge developers will switch to 4.2 and the package is no longer needed.

So in the meantime, let's make it OF package so those developers can simply "pkg install -forge doctest" to get it?

That way if Michael and I drop or give up on the merge effect, then at least we have the OF package. (And when its merged to core, we drop the OF package.)

So far I agree with Oliver and Carnë's comments about a merge to core being desirable. A few concerns with merge with test():

1. Minor point but Python keeps seperate test/doctest commands.

2. Perhaps some developers will resent the workload of having
   examples that must pass doctests.  So test() will probably
   need a flag to disable doctests.  If this ended up being
   *by default* then I'm not convinced a merge is worth the
   effort.

best,
Colin