Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Octave 4.0 on Mac OS Yosemite (with gui!)
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 16:19:53 -0400

> On Jul 25, 2015, at 11:07 AM, Dr. Sebastian Schöps <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>>> Mike Miller-4 wrote

>>> That would be great. Getting osmesa seems to be problematic on several
>>> platforms (also ubuntu as seen in the other recent thread)
>>
>> Agreed. I would also like to be able to figure out how to use the osmesa
>> support provided by XQuartz. Does anyone know if there are known issues, or
>> are we just doing something wrong (not setting LDFLAGS or LIBS correctly?).
>>
>> Ben
>
> I did some experiments with osmesa but so far without success. homebrew has a
> dedicated formula for osmesa
> (https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-x11/blob/master/mesalib-glw.rb) but it
> disables gl-osmesa which seems to be the most important part.

The Qt libs for Mac OSX use native graphics, while osmesa support is part of
X11. Perhaps this is a problem? Does homebrew have an OSMesa formula? I’ve just
installed Fink’s package for osmesa and had to tinker a bit for configure to
work.

Initially, I got ...

checking osmesa.h usability... no
checking osmesa.h presence... no
checking for osmesa.h... no
checking GL/osmesa.h usability... yes
checking GL/osmesa.h presence... yes
checking for GL/osmesa.h... yes
checking for OSMesaCreateContext in -lOSMesa... no
configure: WARNING: OSMesa library not found.  Offscreen rendering with OpenGL
will be disabled.

I then addeded "-L/sw/lib/mesa“ to the LDFLAGS and "-I/sw/include/mesa” to the
CPPFLAGS. After than configure found and was able to use the OSMesa library.
When done, configure reported …

        OSMesa libraries:            -lOSMesa

My build fails due to errors like ...

        /sw/include/mesa/GL/osmesa.h:249:1: error: unknown type name 'GLAPI'
        GLAPI GLboolean GLAPIENTRY

Perhaps the osmesa included with XQuartz is creating a problem?

            --with-OSMesa-includedir=/sw/include/mesa \
            --with-OSMesa-libdir=/sw/lib/mesa \

Does anyone have any insight?

> new question: do you guys have also problems with the titlebar icons? Please
> see screenshot here
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2079838/octave4_yosemite_icons.png

Yes, I also see the icon problem.