Re: We need to talk about SourceForge

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: We need to talk about SourceForge
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 22:49:35 +0200

On 22.07.2015 18:06, Nir Krakauer wrote:
With SF "code repositories are not currently available", it seems like
it would be worth making moving Octave-Forge a higher priority.

The repositories are back online, but the shell access still isn't working and thus there is no administrative access to the website, which currently prevents package releases.

Also, it looks like SourceForge shall now be sold off by the current owner [1].

I have said nothing about the “SourceForge is bad topic” recently, because I do not want to follow the public hysteria on the topic. I do not see any cheap third-party alternatives that provide a place for multiple hg repositories, a website and downloads. Also the really bad stuff (from the Gimp project) didn't affect the Octave Forge project directly, because the project is neither abandoned nor does it provide binaries. All I have seen was a low quality hosting service with regular smaller outages (before the big crash).

However, now I think that SourceForge is going through even harder times because it has an indefinite future!

Are there any (fixed) plans for alternatives already? Couldn't we afford a hosting service for the package releases and self-host the repositories?

Oliver

[1] https://sourceforge.net/blog/dhi-group-inc-statement-on-plans-to-sell-slashdot-media/