Re: ode45 inclusion into core

From: Richard Crozier
Subject: Re: ode45 inclusion into core
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 23:03:04 +0100

On 06/10/15 17:52, Olaf Till wrote:
On Tue, Oct 06, 2015 at 04:09:54PM +0000, Carlo De Falco wrote:

On 6 Oct 2015, at 18:02, Richard Crozier <address@hidden> wrote:

I know this is deprecated, but I much prefer it to the recommended
anonymous function method. Please don't remove it if it already
exists.

I unfortunately can't remember the exact reasons, but there are
issues with saving anonymous functions and their data to files
that make this way much less efficient in my application

The (probably sole) issues are:

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45972

http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?45969

both of which have supplied patches, so there is hope for next release
series.

(I use
the multicore package, or rather a slightly modified version of
it).

Richard

With parcellfun, only the results, which probably don't contain
anonymous functions, need to be saved (over a pipe, not to
files). Since your problem obviously concerns additional arguments,
not results, it would be absent if you used parcellfun. Which, I
think, you really should do ...

Prcelfun, as far as I can tell, does not allow me to utilise multiple separate computers on a network with access to a common directory, whereas multicore does. It also won't work in both Octave and ML which is a goal for me. I've also modified multicore to do a few things, like run a preprocessing function, and a function between iterations of checking for results (which I use to monitor slave resource availability for instance on an HTCondor cluster), my version also provides a mechanism to kill slaves by deleting certain files in the multicore shared directory, and also lets you run a pool of slaves continuously and have more than one master process submit jobs to the same pool without mixing them up. It also easily lets you see which slave process is working on which job as jobs and slaves have a unique ID. Multicore is also helpful in that it resubmits jobs that don't complete within a pre-specified time limit, or have the master process do them when the don't complete within the time limit.

So parcelfun is much too limited for my use case I'm afraid.

OK, if this feature has a reason to be I won't remove it from where
it is implemented already, but I think we should not insist that new
implementations of other ode solvers also implement it.

c.

I suppose this is reasonable, since it's not documented.

The feature is ugly and should be weeded out where possible,
IMO. Sorry.

Olaf

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Richard

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.