Re: build_packages.m script, visibility?

From: JohnD
Subject: Re: build_packages.m script, visibility?
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 17:30:43 -0500

> From: Nicholas Jankowski <address@hidden>
> To: Octave Maintainers List <address@hidden>
> Subject: build_packages.m script, visibility?
>
> I was going to suggest to someone on the help list that they didn't follow
the
> directions in the README to install the included packages, but then
realized I
> don't know if that user would have ever come across the information that
he
> should do so.
>
> is this information presented to someone after running the .exe installer?
> I didn't see any mention of it on the sites to get to Download page. (Like
> something on sourceforge where readme's get displayed on the file download
> page.)
>
> If it's not, what would be a convenient way to draw attention to it? Can a
> message be added to the 'installation finished' dialog? display the
readme.html
> by default following install?

By default, isn't the checkbox for displaying the README enabled?

We could probaly add a reminder on the last screen of the installer to run
the build_packages script, however whats the chances that anyone will take
notice of that either? :)

I had started looking at installing the packages in the build so that when
installed vide the installer, everything is already there and then the
build_packages script will not be required anymore.
I'll try to get back to relooking at that.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to make a patch to add the change to the
installer ...

JD