Re: [OF] where to put license files?

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: [OF] where to put license files?
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 20:19:54 +0000

On 23 December 2015 at 19:15, Philip Nienhuis <address@hidden> wrote:
> In installed OF packages the GPL license (COPYING) resides in the packinfo/
> subdir.  So that subdir looks like a good place for other licenses
> associated with SW in a package.
> ==> How do I get together that e.g., a file "license.txt" ends up in
> packinfo/ ?
>
> (FYI, I want to include some c++ code covered by an MIT license
> (GPL-compatible) in the mapping package.)

You leave your COPYING file with the GPLv3+ license and simply add the
file under the MIT license to the repository.  You don't need to do
anything else:

https://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html#x1-30002.1

However, since you are modifying the code, you can put your changes under
the GPL.  In that case, just add the GPL header to the top of the file
followed by:

    This file incorporates work covered by the following copyright and
    permission notice:

    Copyright (C) 2015 Shashank Khare, skhare at hotmail dot com
    rest of the MIT license
    [...]

See
https://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html#x1-40002.2

> BTW, the instructions for package maintainers/developers are quite terse
> these days - I had to access www.archive.org for older versions to get info
> on package structure and contents of the DESCRIPTION file. Shouldn't that be
> on the current octave-forge developers page?

No.  That documentation is part of the manual.  We don't want to repeat
ourselves and end up with out of sync documentation:

https://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/The-DESCRIPTION-File.html

Carnë