Re: Adding metainfo.xml files to each pkg

From: Oliver Heimlich
Subject: Re: Adding metainfo.xml files to each pkg
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 00:25:01 +0100

…

>  * I'm focusing on Fedora b/c that is what I use, but its
>    not supposed to be distro-specific.

Sounds interesting, although I haven't found out how the files are used
in other distributions.  For example in Debian they are located at
/usr/share/appdata/, but I have never used them.

To some extend the files overlap with our current DESCRIPTION and NEWS
files for packages. There is not trivial way to avoid redundancy, isn't
it? For example, should we put a description into the appdata files? Or
should we limit ourselves to what you prepared for octave-image: package
name, a summary line, license and contact information?

It is an interesting feature to localize the content in appdata files.
Should we bother with this, given that Octave packages typically have no
i18n?

Oliver