Re: closing Octave-Forge svn repository

From: Carnë Draug
Subject: Re: closing Octave-Forge svn repository
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 14:11:55 +0000

On 8 March 2016 at 06:54, Alois Schloegl <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear Carne,
>

> today, when trying to use the repos, I came across the following issues :
>
> - would it be possible to move NaN and tsa to git, instead of mercurial ?

I won't have time for this any time soon.  But if you have a git clone
of them somewhere else I can replace it.  If not, I have heard that
there's extensions for git and mercurial (so you can use git commands
on a mercurial repository and vice versa) but I don't have any experience
with any to recommend.

> - the repository name of the NaN-package should become "octave-nan" (not
> octave-NaN)

The repository name of the package is not "octave-NaN", it is only "NaN".
See the list of mercurial repository and their names here:

    https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/_list/hg

For some reason, SourceForge command recommendation for the clone command
appends the project name (octave) to the repository name.  But that is only
the name of the directory and you can use whatever name you want:

    hg clone http://hg.code.sf.net/p/octave/NaN whatever-name-you-want

I can change the repository name to "nan" but on svn you had it "NaN" and
the DESCRIPTION file of the package also has "NaN".  Also relevant:

    https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/site-support/12282/

> - When trying to push to the mercurial repo "octave-NaN", it failed with
>    "abort: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden"
>   What do I need to do in order to write (push) to the repository ?

I'm guessing you are using the public/read-only URL to push.  Since you are
asking about the mercurial repo named "octave-NaN", I'm guessing you simply
copied the command from:

    https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/code/HEAD/tree/

If you are not logged in, it only shows you the read-only URL.  If you
login, you will see the url for your own user to where you can push.
This should be the same with subversion.

To change the URL, just modify the ".hg/hgrc" file in the repository.

Carnë