Re: Changes in configure for Octave 4.0.1?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Changes in configure for Octave 4.0.1?
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 08:31:25 -0700

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 13:33:48 +0200, José Luis García Pallero wrote:
> Thank you for your answer. I attached the config.log in my previous message.

Thanks, I missed that, looked at both config.logs now.

> I'll try to explain my new compilation attempt:
>
> I have these relevant packages installed:
>
> libblas-common
> libblas3
> libblas-dev
> libblapack3
> liblapack-dev
> liblapack-pic
> liblapacke
> liblapacke-dev
> libopenblas-base
> libopenblas-dev
> libarpack2
> libarpack2-dev
>
> The update-alternatives shows that thedefault BLAS and Lapack in
> /usr/lib are linked to the libraries provided by the openblas packages
> and I've checked it inspecting the links via ls

I now have the same configuration as you.

> If I execute ./configure --prefix=/opt/octave/ CFLAGS=-O3 CXXFLAGS=-O3
> FFLAGS=-O3 --with-hdf5-includedir=/usr/include/hdf5/serial
> --with-hdf5-libdir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/hdf5/serial the configure
> works but prints this warning:
>
> configure: WARNING: ARPACK library found, but does not seem to work
> properly -- disabling eigs function
>
> I attach the config.log file to this message, but I would like to
> comment a couple of things:
>
> The detected BLAS library is
>
> BLAS libraries:              -lopenblas
>
> as libopenblas-dev installs libopenblas.so (and .a) in /usr/lib
> inaddition to the libblas and liblapack in /usr/lib/openblas (managed
> later by umpate alternatives)
>
> The configure script doesn't print anything about Lapack:
>
> LAPACK libraries:
>
> but any error about is issued, so I understand Lapack is detected

I have now installed libopenblas-dev and run configure and I don't see
any errors with ARPACK here. So I'm not sure why you are seeing that.
The relevant error message in your config.log (both prior and latest)
is:

./conftest: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libblas.so.3: undefined symbol:
gotoblas

but if you check /usr/lib/libblas.so.3 it should have a dependency on
libopenblas.so.0 where the gotoblas symbol comes from. You said you also
compiled OpenBLAS from source, do you happen to have LD_LIBARY_PATH or
ld.so.conf pointing to the self-built libraries in /opt/openblas/lib?

If not, if the linker is finding /usr/lib/libopenblas.so.0, then it
should have that symbol and that error should not appear.

--
mike