Re: Instability in Hydra build

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Instability in Hydra build
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 10:57:01 -0700

On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 10:31:53 -0700, Rik wrote:
> 4/7/16
>
> All,
>
> The Hydra build seems to have been flipping back and forth between success
> and failure somewhat randomly.  The failure is always a segfault during
> 'make check' in oct-parse.in.yy-tst.  Usually there isn't much information,
> but one of the runs caught this
>
>   libinterp/parse-tree/oct-parse.in.yy-tst ....................terminate
> called after throwing an instance of 'std::length_error'
>   what():  basic_string::_S_create
> panic: Aborted -- stopping myself...
> attempting to save variables to 'octave-workspace'...
> save to 'octave-workspace' complete
>
> The failures seem to have become more consistent lately
> (https://hydra.nixos.org/jobset/gnu/octave-default/all?page=1).  One thing
> of note is that they all occur on i686 (32-bit) versus the x86_64
> platform.  Any ideas?  Do we need to try and backout csets like gnulib::pipe?

I think it's been going on longer than the introduction of gnulib::pipe.
Eyeballing the build history, the first failure like this seems to be
around 2016-03-14.

  https://hydra.nixos.org/build/33236900

This build was made with revision

  http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/de155ca994d4

I didn't make any changes to the hydra recipe at that time.

Since then it's been segfaulting on and off, but always on the i686
build like you said. I wonder if it would be worth doing some of the
leak investigation you and jwe have been doing on a 32-bit build.

--
mike